September 2, 2012

Logos for everyone!

The final Ernest logos:



My in-progress post for all the logos I'm doing today/tomorrow. I'll probably update this post as I finish more things.



And all these lovely ampersands...and that ligature that I didn't get to use...


My final Obama/Romney logos:

Obams: Sans serif, non-traditional colors, some swoopy shapes that remind me of hills or wind or movement. I don't really want to get into politics, and I haven't read too much into these, but I feel like Obama is the fresh, new, modern candidate, going new places and making unpredictable decisions and updating his twitter and doing AMAs on Reddit...I feel like it fits.
Romney: Slab serif, sturdy and architectural-ish, more traditional nods (the star, the red, white, and blue)... a typical WASP Republican candidate. The 'R' and the 'Y' sortof cycle back into each other, which makes me think of how Romney wants to undo a bunch of things Obama has put into motion, like Obamacare, etc, and "restore" America to whatever politics things. The 'M' and the 'N' and the 'E' are also connected...symbolizing...something. ...and scene.

And some yard signs...because they're easy and I'm awake.



And now some knowledge from my internship about political logos....to kindof explain why that's what I came up with.

Campaign logos for political candidates are usually typographic, with the last name the biggest and most emphasized, because that's what you want people to see/remember from afar as they speed past your yard sign, or remember even if they only glanced at your mailer for a second. Candidates don't want any ambiguity--was that the local candidate for state rep, or a new fro-yo shop opening? They don't put your logo icon or symbol or whatever on the ballots, so you have to get people to remember you by your name. If the first name is on there, it's usually next in the size/emphasize hierarchy, with the office they want (unless it's obvious, like the two main candidates for presidency) either equal or another step down from that. Political logos aren't usually very subtle, half because a lot of smaller politicians get their moms or something to do them, and half because there isn't much room for subtlety when there's an election coming up. The whole Red/White/Blue/Star spangled banner/American flag thing is getting old though, in my opinion. But anyway, here's a few nice ones stolen from my internship's website (that will probably make mine look bad when I finally get it up, since these are great, but whatever):




Here's what I have so far...digital sketches, really. I didn't add the VPs or the office because this is the highest profile campaign you can go for, so (hopefully) everyone pretty much knows whats going on. I made Obama's colors a bit less traditional, modern, sans serif...I don't know where I'm going with that 'O' yet though. Romney is a bit more sturdy and predictable with a slab-serif typeface and the red, white, and blue (which I'm still not set on...), and even a star in the corner. Oh, Deborah, how cliche. 


And, while I'm at it, a new direction for my personal logo:



1 comment:

  1. These are fantastic! Great play yet powerful and memorable....terrific job.

    ReplyDelete