August 1, 2011

Mantel Painting

The living room in my parents' house in Alpharetta is has some pretty impressive wall space--it might go up 20 feet or so. Ever since we moved here, it's been pretty obviously empty. A few years ago, when I first got into painting and still thought I was the shit, my mom asked me to do a significantly sized triptych of paintings for her to put up there. Then I realized how much I actually have to learn, and for a considerable amount of time, I would inwardly cringe every time I passed it or any time my parents pointed it out to guests. So, around last Christmas, I got some more canvases, and decided to start over, so to speak.
This has been in the making for about eight months (though by no means is that how long I've worked on it--there have been huuuuge gaps: working on portfolio, trips in the beginning of the summer, whenever I'm downtown...).  It's pretty much something I do when I'm bored or up late in Alpharetta. But now, surprise, surprise, I'm getting more tired of looking at the old painting than I am dissatisfied with this one, so I'm going to finish it up in the next week or so and start something else.
This looks a little weird because I didn't line them up right, but here's what I have so far:

No comments:

Post a Comment