October 8, 2011

art books that inspire me + poster designs

A week or two ago, I went on a really awesome but financially irresponsible art book binge. Here are some of my finds:

Illustration Now I actually found in London, in the Tate Modern's gift shop. It's pretty sweet--lots of different styles and artists.


An Illustrated Life is full of sketchbook samples from different artists; it really shows the differences in creative processes and makes me want to sketch more.


Juxtapoz Illustration is similar to Illustration Now, a bunch of artists' profiles and work samples. It's awesome--makes me wish I could paint.




And a book I stole from Anna, The Modernist:

Aaaaand the resultant minimalist Harry Potter posters:








I tried to be symbolic and connect the background and the heaviness of the design to the amount of drama going down in the book, but I also just whipped these out, so I'm not gonna get too serious with artistic intention, etc. I have a couple versions of other HP posters from this summer, with silhouette portraits of characters, and horcruxes, and a bunch of other things, but I didn't want to nerd everyone out too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment