October 3, 2011

the event poster: an ongoing process

EDIT 4:



Or, is the pen tool gradient too choppy, and I should just fold and use an actual gradient? ...But then the top looks too empty. MY LIFE




EDIT 3:



EDIT 2:




EDIT:






What is going on with this poster, you ask? I don't know either. I switched events--now I'm doing Kraken: Tales of Octopus Smarts and Super Cephalopods, a lecture by Wendy Williams that will not be held at the Georgia Aquarium on December 1. I'm thinking about adding some huge menacing-looking tentacles creeping into the frame, or the shadow of a huge squid far off in the water, or something like that to hint more at the squid/octopus angle, as opposed to sea life in general.  Looks like I have a bunch more illustrating to do...

P.S. I'm probably going to edit this post a bunch tonight to "show my process" (i.e. not feel bad about not making any progress).



1 comment:

  1. It's looking good but you need to make this event look like it is a lecture...right now it looks like a special part of the aquarium...keep on message.

    Think about it...the secondary information "tales of .." seems so disconnected...just tag it closer to the headline and you'll be fine..it's safe...don't let your illustration dictate what your copy does...it's too dangerous. You, the designer, says what happens...not the design. I know, I know you designed it but sometimes the design can take over...don't let it...you are always in charge. Play up the lecture by Wendy Williams...in fact it needs to be in the secondary headline/copy someplace....Advertising is about teasing and informing the public what is going to happen...don't let everything great happen in the 12 point type in the body copy....spell it out. Who, what, when and where. Use the GA Aquarium logo also either as a sponsor or in the design itself. Smart design is clever. Don't make people guess what the poster is about.

    Your typeface looks terrific....now sell it.

    ReplyDelete