October 18, 2011

wine bottle design

So last week I thought we had ages to finish this...aaand now it's due next week and I have pretty much nothing. Tonight, though, I'm planning on making a rough draft of at least the front of the bottle (since I'm a dumbass and I think I deleted the pictures I had taken of the back. Yeah, I know.) so I can get some input tomorrow and have the design done by Friday and send it off to that lady in one of the Carolinas this weekend.
I'm soaking a couple bottles in my sink right now, so hopefully they'll be done in a little bit and I can print some stuff out and see how it looks.

I'm doing Angeline, a 2009 Merlot. I would like to do a couple different versions, but at this point, who knows. I'm thinking I'm definitely going to do the rub transfer for most, if not all, of the design. Maybe a really short paper label at the bottom of the bottle for extras. Probs doing a hang tag, unless this gets crazy and I don't figure that out in time. It's probably going to be mostly, if not all, typographic--a nice change from all the illustration I've been doing. I think the front is going to be vertical instead of horizontal--"Angeline" is just such a long word, and I don't want to make whatever I come up with tiny, and I don't want people to have to rotate the bottle 180 degrees to figure out what kind they're looking at. Plus, this way it's more readable when it's sitting horizontally in someone's wine cellar. I still don't know what's going on with my container...I was thinking about just wrapping it in tissue paper like this:


BUT I also thought about making my bottle typographic and the container illustrative, and tissue paper is so unpredictable in how it will lay that I can't really do both easily. So it depends. I also think this kind of thing is within my abilities, and that would give me both more work to do and more space to work with, so again, it depends on how fast I get this stuff done.



Sean, Anna, and I went to The Container Store and some other places today looking at bottles, and I've decided to just go get some super cheap red and white wine that the label will come off of easily, the bottles look similar, and doesn't have anything on top of the cork. Plus, then I won't have to figure out what to fill a bottle with and some way to seal it nicely.

What I have so far:



so here's some bottles that are the direction I'm thinking about going:











No comments:

Post a Comment